This guide is about Avast vs AVG antivirus program. When one is in need of an antivirus that can provide all-around protection and shield against dangerous malware, then Avast and AVG antivirus will be listed on the list as the topmost effective malware blocker.
Users are usually perplexed on which of these two super software is better. Some users prefer Avast while some prefer AVG Antivirus. They are both competitors and are currently a single company. It was officially announced on the September 30th, 2016 on the Avast website.
This notwithstanding, users still have the notion that the two antivirus programs are their own. The two products Make use of the same technical background and the same engine but there are several differences that distinguish Avast and AVG antivirus products from each other.
In this article, we shall compare Avast vs AVG free antivirus software based on the review of their features.
- 1 Avast vs AVG Free Antivirus (Product Comparison).
- 2 Is Avast better than AVG Antivirus in terms of protection?
- 3 USER INTERFACE: Which one is easier to use? Avast or AVG?
- 4 LANGUAGE: Avast vs AVG
- 5 PERFORMANCE RESULT: Will Avast protect your system better than AVG?
- 6 SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: Avast vs AVG
- 7 CONCLUSION:
Avast vs AVG Free Antivirus (Product Comparison).
The two antivirus software is great for offering massive shielding and protection against zero-day threats and known threats such as viruses, rootkits, malware, spyware and ransomware. They both offer protection on the internet – on Facebook and on youtube.
Both Avast and AVG protects the system against unauthorized use via the password protection feature. Both the incoming and outgoing emails are scanned.
For game lovers, the two antivirus software offers the solution. The smart gaming mode is available in both Avast and AVG.
Is Avast better than AVG Antivirus in terms of protection?
- They both have the Antivirus and anti-spyware and anti-malware feature which prevents the system from attack by rampaging threats.
- They both offer web browsing protection.
- Both the AVG and Avast antivirus have the E-mail client protection feature.
- Both the AVG and Avast have the silent and gaming mode which provides a smart end to gaming.
- Avast free antivirus has the Home network and router security which is otherwise called Wi-Fi inspector. It undertakes the scanning of the home network, the Wi-Fi connection and also scans the routers. AVG offers data spying and protection against theft. It manages and controls the type of data that you share with others.
- The unwanted browser plugins cleanups are available in Avast free antivirus. It checkmates and monitors the status of other software ensuring that they are up-to-date. It also ensures that software like the browsers, java, adobe, etc are all updated to the latest version. It allows repairs via the secured remote connection.
- Spying and data theft protection are offered by AVG but not by Avast. Spying and data theft protection shield the system against unauthorized access to important files and documents.
- Avast does not allow the permanent deletion of sensitive data. It has the file shredder which enables permanently deleted data and files to be restored. However, this feature is only available on the premium version and not on the free version.
- Users cannot start using Avast without registration. Registration of a personal account is mandatory for Avast users. This is not the case with AVG free antivirus where users can start using the software immediately after installation.
- The two software tools are also very effective in boosting the speed of the system. With Avast, it takes approximately 28 seconds for the windows Boot-time. In the load time test, less is better. It takes only about 28 seconds for the system’s windows to load with Avast installed.
With AVG installed, the booting operation takes averagely 33 seconds.
Hence, based on the test result, windows computers boot faster with Avast than with AVG.
- On AV-test, the performance test score of Avast is 2,116 points while that of AVG is 2,115 points.
- They are both 5MB in size
USER INTERFACE: Which one is easier to use? Avast or AVG?
The Avast user interface is highly simplified and clear. It requires a click for any of the Avast scans to be carried out. The compatibility scan, viruses scan, outdated software scan, browser add-on scan, router issues scans, performance and weak password scans can all be done via the user interface with just a single click.
AVG user interface is a little bit complicated. It is busier and has several actions on the user interface.
LANGUAGE: Avast vs AVG
Both Avast and AVG are available in the English language. They are also available in other languages.
Avast is available in 46 languages while AVG is available in 22 languages.
- Avast languages (46): Arabic, Belorussian, Bengali, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English (United States/United Kingdom), Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Persian, Pirate talk, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil/Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu and Vietnamese.
- AVG languages (22): Chinese (simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Spanish, Turkish.
PERFORMANCE RESULT: Will Avast protect your system better than AVG?
The performance of antivirus can easily be checked from independent Labs test results. These labs test results are usually carried out to check the number of viruses that the antivirus will detect and block.
According to AV-Test result, Avast blocks and monitors up to 99.9% of all the threats while AVG shields 99.99%.
Both Avast and AVG scored 100% on the latest AV-comparatives test in August 2018.
PCmag rates Avast and AVG as 4.5 stars and they are both their number one recommendation for free and powerful antivirus.
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: Avast vs AVG
Both Avast and AVG are highly simplified. They work perfectly on the majority of the computer systems around. The two antivirus tools run the same engine. Hence, their system requirements are the same. What is required is an operating system that is newer than Windows 2000. It works perfectly on Windows XP with service pack 3. Avast and AVG are highly compatible on Windows 10.
System Requirements for Avast Free Antivirus
- Supported operating systems: Microsoft Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7 SP1 or higher / Vista / XP SP3 or higher (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit).
- Processor: Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64 or above
- Memory: 256 MB RAM or above
- Space: 2 GB of free hard disk space
Please note that Avast Free Antivirus 2018 won’t work on Microsoft Windows 95 / 98 / ME / 2000 / Server, or any other operating system which isn’t specified above.
System Requirements for AVG AntiVirus FREE
- Supported operating systems: Microsoft Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP SP2 or higher (any Edition, 32-bit or 64-bit).
- Processor: Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64 or above.
- Memory: 256 MB RAM for Windows XP or 1024 MB RAM for Windows Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7 / Vista.
- Space: 2 GB of free hard disk space.
Please note that AVG AntiVirus FREE 2018 won’t work on Microsoft Windows 95 / 98 / ME / 2000 / Server, or any other operating system which isn’t specified above (source).
Avast and AVG are powerful tools for protecting and shielding the computer against malware. The two tools have their pros and cons. They both offer free versions and the free versions are fully packed with features that can compete favourably with the premium versions.
Now that you now know the difference between Avast vs AVG, We recommend you to try the two antivirus programs on your own and see which one suits you better.