We all know that archiving something means putting it away for use in the future. However, putting things away can lead to other kinds of problems when you do that with your computer. Sometimes you may forget the password or the exact place you kept the file. For emails, it may not be that easy to get it back once you file it away. But, not so for Gmail. This is why in this post, we shall teach you how to find archived emails in Gmail.
Not to worry it is not a complicated matter. Google has given you 15 gigabyte to use for your Gmail account, which means you can store millions of email messages and pictures easily. However, I know you will have some messages that you have specifically locked away for future use. That is where archiving comes in. let us begin.
How to View Archived Messages on Gmail
In this post:
- What does archive mean?
- How to find archived emails in Gmail using Desktop Computer
- How to find archived emails in Gmail using Android phone
We will start at …
What Does Archive Mean?
As you ponder on how to find archived emails in Gmail, it is important you learn what it means when you hear the word archive. Though, from a layman’s perspective to archive means to file away, or to keep in a safe place for future reference or use.
Furthermore, according to Cambridge .org, to archive means “a place where historical records are kept: I’ve been studying village records in the local archive. Computer file used to store electronic information or documents that you no longer need to use regularly”.
Let’s now go on to show you how to find archived emails with your desktop computer.
How to find archived emails in Gmail using Desktop Computer
In this tutorial, you will learn how to find archived emails in Gmail with your desktop computer. Secondly, you should note that the archived message hides in your All mails folder. Though it is hidden from your view, it remains in Gmail until you need them.
Follow this step by step guide to find archived emails in your desktop.
- First, you need to sign into your google account by using this link https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=CPanel
- It will take you to this page.
3. Next, type in your password to go into your Google account. Click on the 9 dots near your user name at the top right-hand side of your Google page, to open all the Google applications. Locate Gmail among them and click it to visit your email.
4. Then look to the left-hand side of the screen and to locate your Inbox and “More” tag below.
5. Next, look down on the left side of your Gmail page and click “More” and scroll down until you get to “All Mail” and click it to open all your emails.
6. Next, look for the Archived emails inside “All Mails” Folder. The way to identify the Archived emails is by looking for emails that have no “inbox” tag on the left-hand side of the email.
7. You can also use the Search bar at the top right-hand side of the page to find archived emails in Gmail.
Here in this sample email account, I have only three emails. The archived one is the email from Google titled “Victor, welcome to your Google Account”. See the screenshot above.
8. How to find archived emails in Gmail gets easier when you know what to do. Simply use the “keyword”, “the sender of an email” or “subject matter” of a particular email that you had archived, to find that email you want to retrieve. All you need to do is type that keyword or sender, or subject matter into the search box on top of your Gmail page.
In this case, we will type in “Victor welcome” which is the subject of the email to find the achieved email.
Next, let us see how to retrieve archived emails in Gmail on your Android phone.
How to Find Archived Emails in Gmail on Android
Learning how to retrieve archived emails in Gmail is simple. To view achieved emails, tap the Gmail app on your Android phone device. and open your emails. Your inbox is the Primary folder here.
Next, select “All mail” and you will see messages labeled inbox. The archived email messages are those messages without “Inbox” tag on them.
You can also type in keywords into the Search box on the top right-hand side of your screen. Enter a keyword of a specific email you had archived that you want to retrieve.
When you do this, it will display either the exact email you want or return with other email messages. When this happens, just scroll through them and select the email you had archived. It is that simple.
In this example, we will use the email sent by Google to my sample email address, as we did earlier when you learned how to find archived emails in Gmail using Desktop Computer.
So, we will type in “Victor, welcome” in the search bar and it brought out the Google email which is the only email we had archived. That’s it.
In this tutorial, we showed you how to to find archived emails in Gmail. Furthermore, if you have an android phone with Gmail application, all you need to do is open the Gmail and select all mails. In addition, you can also repeat the same process in your desktop with a few modifications to get the same results. Furthermore, you can go ahead to store your email messages by archiving them. Also, you can retrieve the special ones whenever you want to. While we are at email matters, you may consider using email as a marketing tool.